In 2020, we were able to offer two iPad classes for our year 2 cohort, and in 2021, this expanded to classes in both our Year 2 and 3 cohorts. It is intended that additional iPad classes will be gradually introduced for other year levels (Y2 - Y6) in the coming years. It is important to note that all students (not just iPad classes) learn about technologies as part of the Australian Curriculum - View Australian Curriculum - Technology
IPad classes are a relatively new concept at Sherwood State School, so we wanted to make sure parents were well informed. Parents attended an information session which introduced the concept of iPad classes. Below are some notes from that information session:-
What are the benefits of iPads?
- The use of an iPad in the classroom is allowing a new way to deliver lessons and engage with students.
- Resources are available at the click of a download button for very little cost.
- iPads can be used by an individual student, a group of students or a whole classroom.
- An iPad encourages problem solving, critical thinking and information fluency.
- It's easy to use, can do everything a computer can do and encourages more engaged, challenging and creative learning.
- If we are to prepare the children of today for a tomorrow which has not yet happened we must ensure they are ready for this change.
- The use of an iPad in the classroom allows a new way to deliver lessons and engage with students.
- iPads are portable and quick and easy to use and encourage problem solving, critical thinking and information fluency.
- iPads are used across all year levels to engage and motivate students and to make learning more accessible for students with disabilities but also because they allow for the creation of new tasks previously inconceivable without such devices.
Some examples of how these devices were used to assist learning include:
- researching of topics
- note taking
- drill and practice activities
- crafting presentations
- manipulating objects to make calculations
- constructing animations and movies
- coding and robotics
- collaboration with peers
- explaining and recording learning
- viewing educational content
For teachers it can provide:
- whole class engagement
- limitless resources – apps available covering every subject area
- whole class display - All the features of an interactive whiteboard
- mobility – not restricted to front of class tethering
- differentiated learning
- lesson planning and resource management - integrated and
- ease of use
For students it can:
- allow access to research resources
- stimulate and encourage learning
- be interactive – students are 'in' the lesson
- improve student response ability
- increase pupil involvement in lessons – engagement
- incorporate ICT into lesson tasks
- connects school to home
What is required if your child is in an iPad class?
Parents are required to sign a Memorandum of Understanding. This will be emailed to parents of those students in iPad classes.
Specifications - 7th/8th Generation iPad with the latest operating system (the cellular optin is not required but this can be a aprental decision - no SIM CARD at school please)
Storage - minimum 32G, but 64G is preferred, or more.
Purchase - The School Locker are offering Sherwood families a discounted price - purchase from the Sherwood School Locker Portal - click here
Apps - Parents of students in iPad classes will be provided with a list of Apps to purchase for the school year.